Friday, May 28, 2010

Funky Friday

Yes, it's still Friday here (8.00pm) and I discovered this really funky singer and I can't get enough. Sadly she's no longer with us. Don't know why I hadn't heard her in the 60s/70s, but I didn't. Recently I was watching Elvis Costello and Elton John talking how this singer/song writer influenced them.
Her name you ask.

Laura Nyro

I watched a few you tubes of her and thought, I have to have some of her CDs. Well Amazon did the trick for me and before I knew it, three of her CDs were in the mailbox and in my car six stacker.
I'm hooked.

6 comments:

  1. I have never heard of her either. I Googled her and listened to 4 of her songs. Beautiful. Reminds me a tad of Joni Mithchell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And maybe a little of Carole King too???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Leon, I meant Carole King.
    My memory is really getting foggy as I am getting older. (Sometimes, it does make for funny moments).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leon, take a look at that blog
    http://pissoupyrenees.blogspot.com/
    I didn't know that the tour de France is going through Rodez. How wonderful (it's where my parents and one of my sister live). I wish I was there. Like you, I can't wait for it to start so I can see the beautiful landscape of France.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, Laura Nyro is the best!
    Your story sounded familiar to me: She managed to fly under my radar back in the day,as well. I only knew of the hit covers of her songs.(I still like those, but her original versions are vastly superior in my opinion.)
    I wish the radio had played her originals instead, I would have become a fan of hers ALOT sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a comment from a long ago post. Glad you said hello. Hope to hear from you again some day.

    ReplyDelete

Love to get feedback so no reason to be shy - have your say.