Monday, December 09, 2013

Great Graffiti

The weekends pass so quickly when enjoying friendships and family so here it is into Tuesday already. Again as so many times recently I see something on a Monday that takes my interest around Melbourne.
This time is was the St Kilda Primary School. Each year the students add the the colour of the school with murals or maybe we could label it great graffiti.





From the school website;
St Kilda Primary School opened in January 1875. When it first opened it had 604 students with 12 teachers. In 1913, the school (then amalgamated with another primary school nearby), had over 1,269 students. Our current student population is 497 lovely students. Our most distinguished former student was Sidney Nolan (1917-92), one of the most famous Australian artists. Indeed, one of his famous paintings is of the school, with the school’s number (1479).

6 comments:

  1. Loved the video. For some reason it made me laugh! Great effort by all, and hope the fete went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The personalities in the video are locals. Check our Rockwiz on You Tube. A Melbourne music quiz show and you'll see Brian Nankervis who is in the video. A very funny but knowledgable man on music.

      Delete
  2. Fun paintings by the kids. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives the kids a bit of ownership I'm sure. I was taking photos when a lady walked by and said - aren't they great? The suburb of St Kilda is very quirky, in a nice way. Yes, I'll take your advice and have a good week because it always ends with Champagne Friday - as I write I hear rain.

      Delete
  3. I live about 1 k away from St Kilda Primary School and although I wasn't a pupil there myself, many of my contemporaries (post-war babies) were. There is something very reassuring about Victorian architecture on state primary schools! Solid... equalitarian.... educationally-focused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, you are almost a nieghbour - We have some great primary school architecture don't we. Sue taught at Mentone Primary and I met her at about the time they celebrated 100 years.

      Delete

Love to get feedback so no reason to be shy - have your say.